As discussed in Designing Roles, roles have dependencies on other attributes in fullcast, like assignments and targets. When getting rid of a role, you cannot leave those attributes in an inconsistent state. You must first retire the role - this option appears in the Role Menu and walks you through the process of dealing with assignments and targets before you can delete a role.
To retire a role:
- Click on the Role Menu[...] on the role you'd like to retire.
- From the drop-down menu, select Retire Role.
- In the following screen, choose an effective date - this will be the date when the role will cease to exist in the system. It will show up in the Roles Designer as the "End Date" for the role.
- Next, select what you'd like to with the assignments given to the selected role (if any). Choose between End Assignments or Replace with another role.
- If you chose Replace with another role, the option to select a New Role will show above. From the drop-down menu, choose a new role to which the aforementioned assignments will be made. Click Next to continue.
- In the following screen, take action on the targets assigned to the previous role (if any). Choose to either Delete the targets or Replace them.
- Click Confirm to complete the retiring action.
Active vs. Inactive Roles
Roles are active or inactive based on their start and end dates. When a role is created, you must assign a start date (the date at which this role is active) but the end date is optional. When you retire a role - you will need to provide an effective date when the role will cease to exist and gets added as the end date for that role. This prevents the role from being available for assignment as of that effective end date.
Updated over 2 years ago