Metrics are a quantifiable measure used to track and assess the health of particular business areas. They play an important role in the planning process, as these measures are used to craft a measurable, equitable and achievable sales plan.
The Summary Metrics Panel is an area that displays useful metrics as a user moves around the Design Module for easy reference.
Building Out Your Key Metrics
When you are on-boarded into the platform, your GrowthOps Business Partner will work with you to customize and create your key performance metrics and set them up in the system. If you need help making changes or would like more information, please contact the support desk or your Business Partner.
Each metric in the panel has a few components displayed:
- Name of the metric.
- A time period for the metric- e.g. sales in Fiscal Year 2019.
- A total measure - showing the actual measure of the metric for the time period.
- If the metric is a time series, a "sparkline" chart that shows the progress of the
metric broken down by months over the specified time period is displayed.
When you have a target defined against a displayed metric, it will also indicate progress against the set goals.
The Summary Metrics Panel is dynamic, and the data displayed reflect 4 things:
- The metrics in the panel reflect the hierarchy node that is selected on the left panel. Metrics will refresh each time you select another node in the hierarchy.
- The view selected - Current, Proposed, or Difference. Metrics will refresh each time the view changes.
- The time period selected of the metric - 2019 or 2018, for example.
- Targets associated with the metrics, as well as the performance against that target. Please note that the performance will only be visible for the time for which the target is visible.
For scalar metrics - you'll see a blue number associated with the metric.
For time-series metrics - you'll see a dynamic bar graph showing the breakdown of the metric by time. Upon rolling over each time period, you'll be able to see the variance and actuals associated with that metric.
As for the colors associated with the metrics: Red represents the calculated variance, Green represents the actuals, and Grey refers to a future target.
Adding metrics to and removing metrics from the Summary Metrics Panel is simple, provided that you've already been able to create the metrics in the system.
To Add A Metric To the Panel:
- Click on the "+" sign at the end of the panel.
- Select the metric from the drop down list.
- Select the appropriate time period.
- Select "confirm" to add the metric to the panel.
To Remove the Metric From the Panel:
- Select the three horizontal dots [...] on the top right corner of the metric.
- Select 'Remove' from the drop-down menu.
If you need a metric that is not in the dropdown list of available metrics, please contact your Business Partner to get your new metric configured.
Number of Metrics Available to Display
You can view up to 5 metrics in the Summary Metrics panel. We advise you to guide your sales planning by using 2-3 metrics as a best practice.
The metrics panel is configured with a list of time periods that can be used to slice the metrics by the appropriate needed for planning purposes. A popular time period is to measure during the "Trailing 12 Months" or across last fiscal year.
The following time periods are available for metrics:
- Fiscal Years - a configurable list of past, present and future fiscal years
- Trailing - 7 Days, 30 Days, 90 Days, 12 Months, 24 Months and 36 Months
- To-Date - fiscal month to date, quarter to date, year to date
- This - calendar month, quarter, year
- Last - calendar month, quarter, year, 2 years, 3 years
- Next - calendar month, quarter, year, 2 years, 3 years
- Custom - select any date beginning and any date ending
Click on the drop-down box and customize it to the desired time period. The metric will refresh to indicate the measure over that specific time period.
Data to Support the Metrics
Please note that the system must be able to access the data for the specified time period in order to calculate and display the metric. If the data has not been ingested, it will not be displayed.
You can pin metrics you've added to your Summary Metrics Panel onto your Rhythm Dashboards. To do this:
- Select the Metrics Menu [...] on the top right corner of the metric you'd like to pin.
- From the drop-down menu, select Pin.
- A pop-up menu will appear. Choose a Dashboard from the Decision Center drop-down menu.
- Click Confirm. Navigate to the dashboard selected in step 3 to view your pinned metric.
Updated 2 months ago