Before we go into how to create a report, let's go over some basic concepts around building reports in fullcast.io.
Already familiar with the basic concepts?
Click here to learn how to create reports in fullcast.io.
An entity is a group of data points that can be characterized into either a dimension (i.e., text) or a measure (i.e., numerical values). There are two types of entities in the Design module:
- Raw Entities - Data imported from various lines of business applications or transaction (OLTP) systems, such as a CRM, financial, or point of sale system. This data is imported into the design application to use for planning.
- Go To Market Entities - Data created within the Design module, such as a territory, team, product group, role, or partner channel.
Dimensions: qualitative values (such as names, labels, regions, or dates) used to categorize, segment, and reveal the details in your data. Dimensions affect the level of detail in the view. and appear on your x-axis. An example would be a column for the list of territories.
Measures: numeric, quantitative values that you can measure, aggregate (sum, average, etc.), and use in mathematical functions. Measures appear on your y-axis. An example would be a sales revenue column for which you can find the sum.
Now that we've gone over the basics, let's get right into creating reports using the Chart Builder:
- Click on the chart icon to open the Chart Builder.
- Select the type of chart you'd like to build. (e.g., GTM Chart)
- Enter a Title for the chart.
- Add the necessary dimensions and measures to the chart by dragging and dropping from the available entities. You can also search for dimensions and measures using the search box.
- Configure the chart data by adding any timeline fields, filters, or limits.
- Customize the measures you set in step 3, as necessary for visualization.
- Click Plot.
In addition to selecting dimensions and measures, there are a few more aspects of a chart that define the data being used. Recall the Chart Builder; here you'd see the following options:
The timeline constrains the measures plotted in the chart by a specific time period. This field is auto-populated when you add a time-series measure.
This field is configured when you are onboarded as a customer - reach out to your business partner for more information.
Filters restrict the data shown in the chart to match the conditions you specify. You can add multiple rows to filter in the Chart Builder.
To apply a filter:
- Drag a Dimension or Measure to be filtered in the space provided.
- Choose an operator (e.g. equal to, not equal to, in, etc.)
- Fill in a value.
Limits restrict the number of dimensions plotted in the graph. For example, if you're sorting by Territory name and only want to plot five territories, you can set the limit value as 5.
Configure the following attributes on your measures:
Aggregate the measure for each group - choose between sum, avg, count (distinct count for dimensions), min, and max.
Aggregation not showing up?
If your measure is already pre-aggregated in the system (e.g., Open Pipe Sales/Margin), the aggregation options will not show up in the customization menu.
Display measures with different units using different y-axes - choose between Primary or Secondary.
Plot your measure values in Ascending or Descending order. If there are multiple sort orders specified, only the first one is used.
Choose the chart type from the following options - bar, line, area, and stack.
Stack me up!
You can add multiple measures and select stack for more than one of them. All the measures configured in the "Stack" chart type will be plotted onto the same stacked bar.
Customize the graph color for each measure using the fullcast.io color palette.
Updated about 2 years ago