Create a Scalar Target
Before creating a target, we need a basic understanding of the flow of target creation. Creating targets follows the flow as shown in figure 1:
Figure 1: Flow of target creation
Steps to create a target with a basic definition and a goal:
- Go to the Design tab and click on Set Targets under Territory Design.
- You are redirected to the Targets tab. Click on Add New.
- Fill in the Target Name, Type, Actuals, Fiscal, Role, Split Type, and Group.
- Expand the Goal bar and fill up the goal number in the edit box.
- Click on Save.
Definitions of the fields of a target
- Name –a descriptive name for the target.
- Type – A Scalar or a Time-Series targe
Time-Series – typically something like a quota, attainment, etc. where the target is typically broken down into a month-by-month schedule.
- Actuals - The metric that measures the actual progress of the target. Every target must have a metric that captures the actual.
- Fiscal – The Fiscal year that this target is for.
- Role – No target can be created without having a person in a role responsible and accountable for it. All targets must be assigned to a specific role, and when a person is assigned to that role – he/she would inherit the target.
- Split Types - Identifies whether people in the same role split the target or get the whole target.
- Group – A label used to group targets together for easy representation. This has no impact on functionality. (E.g., In a compensation plan, targets are usually measured under various categories such as Financial Targets, Revenue/Quota, Key Sales Objectives (KSOs), and Management By Objective (MBOs)).
Scalar Value – Where the target is the same every month (e.g. activity targets for each month - e.g. 120 calls per month).